Radon is an colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can seep into the home through cracks in the foundation, pipes and construction joints. The only way to know if a home has been compromised by radon is to specifically test for it.
Radon is dangerous, and a home left untreated can result in serious health issues and even death. Keep the following three myths in mind when handling radon in your home.
Myth 1: Radon testing is difficult, expensive and time consuming. Radon testing is inexpensive when compared to the numerous health costs and home damage that can occur if left untreated. Although it can be tested by homeowners, calling in a professional is the best choice.
Myth 2: Radon only affects older homes. Radon can seep into any home, drafty, sealed, old or new. Local geology, construction materials and home type are only a few factors that may cause radon.
Myth 3: If your neighbor doesn't have radon, you won't either. Radon varies home to home and can happen in your home without affecting those around you.